All you have to do is say truffle, and I get excited. I adore the earthy, nutty flavor more than just about anything. So whenever I’m in a pinch and can’t think up anything exciting to bring to a potluck or serve to my guest, I will often make something with the essence of truffle. This quinoa with summer vegetables and Marcona almonds is always a hit and is relatively simple. If you’re concerned about the price of truffle oils or salts, look in some stores like HomeGoods or TJ Max. Since they have become so popular over the years, I always see them there.
Truffle Quinoa with mushroom, spring vegetables and marcona almonds
- 1 colander
- 1 small saucepan
- 1 medium sized skillet
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cup asparagus fresh cut
- 2 cups peas fresh or frozen
- 10 oz Cremini mushrooms
- 8 oz truffle macrona almonds
- 1 truffle salt add to taste. use regular salt if truffle is not available
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice for dressing
- 1/8 cup truffle oil for dressing
- 3/4 cup olive oil for dressing
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar for dressing
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbs Kosher salt
- Rinse and strain the quinoa. Add the quinoa and 3 cups of water to a small saucepan. Add 1/4 tsp of the salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer until all the water is absorbed. 10-18 min. Remove the quinoa from the stove and cover for 3 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool to room temperature.
- Blanch the asparagus and peas until they are a bright vibrant green. Strain under cold water and then give an ice bath. ( A bunch of Ice in a bowl of water.) This will stop the vegetables from cooking so they retain their color and crunch.
- Thoroughly wash and dry the mushrooms. Make sure they are dry, or they will not brown as beautifully. Remove the stems and trim the bottoms off. Cut the large mushrooms into quarters and the medium size ones in half. Keep the stems as is.
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to a medium size skillet and heat to medium high. Add the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes until they start to brown and then stir. Cook until all are golden brown.
- The dressing: Add all the ingredients to a jar and shake until combined. ½ cup of lemon juice1 tbs of white wine vinegar1/8 cup of truffle oil½ cup of olive oil
- Crush the almonds with a rolling pin. Tip: roll between 2 tea towels.
- In medium mixing bowl add 2/3 of the mushrooms, asparagus, peas ,and almonds. Add all of the quinoa. Add salt to taste and then pour 3/4 of the dressing in and toss. Transfer into a medium serving bowl (I would suggest wood or stoneware). Add the remaining vegetables on the top of the bowl and then drizzle the remaining dressing on top. Lastly, add the Marcona almonds. Use the picture as a guide. Note: This dish can be prepped a day before, just make sure it has time to come to room temperature before serving.