If you love a warm chai latte or pumpkin pie, this soup will surely be one of your favorites. The sweet potatoes create a rich, hearty base and, as an additional bonus, are a nutritional powerhouse. Packed with vitamin A, potassium and fiber, they are not only good for your heart, liver, and kidneys, but they are also an immune-boosting food. My favorite part about this soup is the cherry and pistachio garnish.
Simple Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes 5 cups or 2.5 lbs
- 1 sweet onion peeled
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp ginger
- 1/4 tbsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking tray with eco-friendly parchment paper.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Bake until tender (30-45 minutes depending on size).
- As the potatoes are cooking, put your soup pot on the stove on medium-high heat. Add coconut oil. Grate 1 sweet onion and add to the pot. Sauté until slightly brown and translucent. Turn off the heat and cover until the potatoes are done cooking.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, let them cool slightly and scoop out the inside. Add to the pot. Add 2 cups of low sodium vegetable broth and all the spices and maple syrup. On medium-high heat, bring the soup to a boil. Then, turn down the heat to a simmer. Purée with the emersion blender until smooth.
- Add the remaining broth until the soup is at your desired thickness. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Continuously mix the soup to ensure the bottom doesn’t burn.
- When the soup is done, ladle into bowls and top with toasted pistachios and dried cranberries.