I love a good spring stew. This hearty coconut ginger vegetable stew with curried shrimp is sweet & spicy with the tang of freshly squeezed lime. The farrow is chewy, nutty and adds a nice sweetness to balance out the spice from the curry. Light yet hearty, this meal is sure to excite your taste buds.
Pan Seared Curry Shrimp with Coconut and Green Pea Farro
- 1 Large 17’’ skillet
- 1 Tongs
- 1 whisk
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 tsp red chili flakes optional
- 3 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 8.8 oz bag of quick cook farro
- 2 lb large shrimp tail on
- 1 can full fat coconut milk or substitute cream
- 4 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup green peas frozen or fresh
- 1 tbsp ginger freshly grated
- 1 cup coconut flakes unsweetened, shredded
- Pour rice wine vinegar, lime juice, water, salt, ginger, red chili flakes and curry paste into a small mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Put shrimp in the large mixing bowl and add the marinade. Gently mix to completely coat the shrimp. Let sit for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. Gently mix a few times while the shrimp is marinating.
- Cook the farro according to the directions on the package. Remove and set aside once cooked.
- While the farro is cooking, chop the cilantro and grate your ginger. Use the bowl you mixed the marinade in to whisk the coconut milk, the remaining curry and lime until it is smooth.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to sizzle, use tongs to add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 1 minute on each side. Place the shrimp on a plate and cover with a lid or tin foil.
- Add the marinade left behind in the small mixing bowl to the skillet. Add the coconut milk mixture and farro and heat to a boil. Lower to a simmer and add the shredded coconut and peas. Mix everything together. If the farrow seems a bit dry, add some warm water until it gets to a consistency that you like. It should be thick and creamy, similar to risotto. Toss in half the remaining cilantro and spinach. The spinach will wilt from the heat of the farro.
- Use tongs to place the shrimp around the top of the skillet and serve family style. Garnish with the remaining cilantro.